Ajmal given clean chit by ICC but PCB chief says inclusion in World Cup squad impossible
Pakistan’s off-spinner Saeed Ajmal has been cleared to bowl by the International Cricket Council after his re-modelled action was deemed legal.
Ajmal, who was banned from bowling last August after the first Test against Sri Lanka, was omitted from the squad for the World Cup as he had failed a bowling action in Brisbane.
The ICC had launched a crackdown on illegal actions last year, a move that was questionned by several critics. However, former Pakistan off-spinner, in his column for Al Jazeera English, backed the ICC’s move, saying that the body was well within its rights to ban illegal actions.
A week before the start of the World Cup, the ICC said Ajmal and fellow off-spinner Sohag Gazi of Bangladesh had been re-tested in Chennai and been cleared to resume bowling in international cricket.
“At the retests, it was revealed that the amount of elbow extensions in both the off-spinners’ bowling actions for all their deliveries was within the 15-degree level of tolerance…” the world governing body said.
“The umpires are still at liberty to report Ajmal and Gazi in the future if they believe they are displaying a suspect action and not reproducing the legal actions from the retests.”
Pakistan, winners in 1992, begin their World Cup campaign against arch-rivals and defending champions India at Adelaide on February 15.
Saeed Ajmal’s bowling has been cleared by the ICC after tests conducted on the banned Pakistan off-spinner at the ICC-accredited laboratory in Chennai on Friday,
However, PCB chief Shahrayar Khan said Ajmal would still not be able to partake in the World Cup due to ICC laws. Khan welcomed the news and lauded Ajmal’s dedication when it came to correcting his bowling action.